This Commonwealth Games trivia quiz features 12 multiple-choice questions. Answers to the Commonwealth Games trivia questions can be found at the end of the quiz. Enjoy and share them with your British friends.
1. Who can participate in the Commonwealth Games?
a) Any country b) European countries c) Commonwealth nations d) Asian/African countries
2. Which former British colony has never taken part in the Commonwealth Games?
a) Canada b) United States c) Malaysia d) Hong Kong e) South Africa
3. What was the distinct feature of the original Commonwealth Games’ flag?
a) A cross b) A yellow star c) A set of chains d) The royal crown
4. The Commonwealth Games was previously known as ________.
a) British Empire and Commonwealth Games b) British Empire Games c) The Queen’s Olympics d) Both A and B
5. How many countries/territories are current members of the Commonwealth of Nations?
a) 34 b) 44 c) 53 d) 64 e) 74
6. The 2018 Commonwealth Games will be hosted by ________.
a) Glasgow, Scotland b) Dublin, Ireland c) Singapore d) Hambantota, Sri Lanka e) Gold Coast City, Australia
7. How many times has England hosted the Commonwealth Games (including its predecessors)?
a) 1 b) 2 c) 3 d) More than 3
8. Which of the following sports is unique to the Commonwealth Games?
a) Squash b) Lawn Bowls c) Cycling d) Diving
9. The most successful country (in term of medals) at the Commonwealth Games has been _________.
a) Australia b) New Zealand c) Canada d) Great Britain e) A tie between Australia and Britain
10. In what year was the first Commonwealth Games held?
a) 1920 b) 1930 c) 1940 d) 1950 e) 1960
11. The relay of the baton, which concludes at the site of the opening ceremony, starts at which famous landmark in London?
a) London Bridge b) The Millenium Dome c) Westminster Abbey d) Buckingham Palace
12. True or False. The 2010 Commonwealth Games in India was cancelled due to security/financial reasons.
1)c 2)b 3)d 4)d 5)c 6)e 7)b 8)b 9)a 10)b 11)d 12)False
Classifications: # of correct answers
10-12 Master, 7-9 Expert, 4-6 Intermediate, 0-3 Novice