This Juneteenth trivia quiz has 12 multiple-choice questions. Answers to the Juneteenth trivia questions can be found at the end of the quiz. Enjoy and be educated.
1. What is Juneteenth?
a) An occasion to celebrate the month of June
b) A holiday to commemorate the end of slavery in the U.S.
c) A summer festival
2. Juneteenth is observed annually on June ______.
a) 14 b) 15 c) 17 d) 19 e) 30
3. The celebration of Juneteenth is believed to have originated from what U.S. state?
a) South Carolina b) Georgia c) Mississippi d) Texas e) Alabama
4. Which U.S. president issued the Emancipation Proclamation that started the process to end slavery?
a) George Washington b) Abraham Lincoln c) Thomas Jefferson d) Lyndon B. Johnson
5. Juneteenth is passionately observed by which minority group?
a) Hispanics b) Whites c) Blacks d) Native Americans
6. Is Juneteenth a federal holiday?
a) Yes, it is a federal holiday
b) No, it is mostly a state holiday/observance
7. What was the constitutional amendment that formally outlawed slavery?
a) The 13th b) The 15th c) The 19th d) The 21st
8. The American Civil War, which played a critical role in the abolition of slavery, was between the Union states and the ________.
a) Confederate states b) Western states c) Neither
9. As of 2013, which of these U.S. states does NOT observe Juneteenth as a state holiday or holiday observance?
a) Nevada b) Alaska c) Maine d) Idaho e) Utah
10. What are the key features of the Juneteenth flag?
a) Red, white & blue with stars and stripes
b) Blue & Red with a white star in center
c) Red & blue with a southern cross
11. Which American writer wrote a psychological novel titled Juneteenth? This title was published posthumously.
a) Frederick Douglass b) Richard Wright c) Ralph Ellison d) W.E.B. Du Bois
12. True or False. Juneteenth became a Texas state holiday on January 1, 1980.
1)b 2)d 3)d 4)b 5)c 6)b 7)a 8)a 9)e 10)b 11)c 12)True
Classifications: # of correct answers
10-12 Master, 7-9 Expert, 4-6 Intermediate, 0-3 Novice