This Kentucky Derby trivia quiz has 12 multiple-choice questions. Answers to the Kentucky Derby trivia questions can be found at the end of the quiz. Enjoy.
1. What competitive sport or game is contested in the Kentucky Derby?
a) Auto racing b) Sprinting c) Horse racing d) Swimming
2. The Kentucky Derby is held annually in which city in the Blue Grass State?
b) Bowling Green
3. What is the name of the racetrack on which the Kentucky Derby is contested?
a) Churchill Downs b) Pimlico Race Course c) Belmont Park d) Del Mar Race Track
4. The Kentucky Derby is the first leg in this famed trio of American thoroughbred races.
a) The Sprint Cup series
b) The Triple Crown
c) Masters 1000 series
5. The last race horse to win the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes and Belmont Stakes in the same year is ________.
a) Winning Colors b) Secretariat c) Affirmed d) Seattle Slew
6. Who was the last horse to die in the Kentucky Derby (on the track) minutes after the race ended?
a) Prairie Bayou b) Eight Belles c) Ruffian d) Dark Mirage
7. Which of the following is the most essential part of the Kentucky Derby and horse racing in general?
a) Sportsmanship b) Competition c) Tradition d) Gambling
8. The rider of a race horse is called a ________.
a) Trainer b) Horseman c) Cossack d) Rodeo e) Jockey
9. Which famous horse was the first winner of the Kentucky Derby?
a) Aristides b) Sir Barton c) Secretariat
10. The winner of the Kentucky Derby typically finishes in roughly how many minutes?
a) 1 min b) 2 c) 3 d) 4
11. How long is the racetrack for the Kentucky Derby?
a) 2 miles b) 1.5 miles c) 1.25 miles d) 1 mile e) .75 mile
12. True or False. The Kentucky Derby is also known as “The Run for the Roses”, named after the customary garland of roses given to the winner.
1)c 2)e 3)a 4)b 5)c 6)b 7)d 8)e 9)a 10)b 11)c 12)True
Classifications: # of correct answers
10-12 Master, 7-9 Expert, 4-6 Intermediate, 0-3 Novice