This Memorial Day trivia quiz has 12 multiple-choice questions. Answers to the Memorial Day trivia questions can be found at the end of the quiz. Enjoy and remember to give thanks to the American soldiers.
1. Memorial Day is observed on the last Monday of which month?
a) April b) May c) June d) July e) A or B (depending on the year)
2. Why do Americans celebrate Memorial Day? (Best Answer)
a) To mark the end of the American Civil War
b) To honor military veterans for their service
c) To protest against all wars
d) To commemorate U.S. war dead (soldiers)
3. Memorial Day was previously known as ________.
a) Veterans Day b) Armistice Day c) Military Day d) Flag Day e) Decoration Day
4. Established by a special order, the first (formal) Memorial Day was observed in which year?
a) 1828 b) 1868 c) 1908 d) 1948
5. What is the most popular Memorial Day activity?
a) Watch fireworks
b) Enjoy dinner with family
c) Take part in parades
d) Visit war cemeteries and memorials
6. Which major sporting event coincides with the Memorial Day weekend? (Best Answer)
a) The Memorial golf tournament
b) The Preakness Stakes
c) The Indianapolis 500
d) Stanley Cup Final
7. Memorial Day was originally created to commemorate the dead from which U.S. war?
a) The Revolutionary War b) The Civil War c) World War I d) Vietnam War
8. The flower most associated with Memorial Day (as well as Veterans Day) is ______.
a) White Lilies b) White roses c) Poppies d) Chrysanthemums
9. True or False. Memorial Day is generally perceived as less important than Veterans Day.
10. Leaving a memorial wreath or flowers at the Tomb of the Unknowns is one of Memorial Day’s most cherished traditions. Where is this famous tomb located?
a) Washington D.C. b) New York City c) Marble, Colorado d) Arlington County, Virginia
11. The National Memorial Day Concert is held each year over the holiday weekend. The event is televised live on which TV network?
a) PBS b) NBC c) CBS d) ABC e) There’s no TV broadcast
12. True or False. It is a long-standing tradition that the sitting U.S. president (or his special representative) would lay a presidential wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns on Memorial Day.
1)b 2)d 3)e 4)b 5)d 6)c 7)b 8)c 9)False 10)d 11)a 12)True
Classifications: # of correct answers
10-12 Master, 7-9 Expert, 4-6 Intermediate, 0-3 Novice