This New York trivia quiz has 12 multiple-choice questions. Answers to the New York trivia questions can be found at the end of the quiz. Be advised that this is not an educational source.
1. The official nickname for New York is ________.
a) The Garden State b) The Empire State c) The Show Me State
2. What is the capital of New York State?
a) New York City b) Albany c) Rochester d) Syracuse
3. New York City is the state's largest city. It is known for being the home to which key U.S. and world industry?
a) Financial b) Industrial c) Technology d) Movie
4. New York was among the original 13 states that formed the Union (USA). What was its position in term of earliest to ratify the constitution?
a) 1st b) 5th c) 11th d) 13th
5. New York State's motto, which can be found on its flag, is "Excelsior". This is the Latin word for ________.
a) Think progressively b) Moving forward c) Ever upward d) None of these
6. What is the name of the river that flows (almost) across the state of New York?
a) The Potomac b) The Niagara c) The Delaware d) The Hudson
7. The most popular form of transportation for residents of New York City is ______.
a) Rail & Subway b) Buses c) Cars/Taxis d) Motorcycles
8. True or false. New York City was the first capital of the United States.
9. What is the name of an iconic group of New York's towns, renown for being home to wealthy and famous people?
a) Beverly Hills b) Silicon Valley c) The Hamptons d) Martha's Vineyard
10. New York City is the home to arguably the greatest team (or franchise) in professional baseball history. What is the team's name?
a) The Yankees b) The Mets c) The Dodgers d) The Reds
11. The Statue of Liberty is a famous monument located in New York's Liberty Island. The statue was sent to the U.S. as a gift from which European country?
a) Britain b) France c) Germany d) Italy
12. True or false. Same-sex marriages are illegal in New York State.
1)b 2)b 3)a 4)c 5)c 6)d 7)a 8)true 9)c 10)a 11)b 12)false
Classifications: # of correct answers
10-12 Master, 7-9 Expert, 4-6 Intermediate, 0-3 Novice