This Nobel Prize quiz has 12 multiple-choice questions. Answers to the Nobel Prize trivia questions can be found at the end of the quiz. Enjoy and celebrate great minds of the world.
1. Afred Nobel was the founder of the Nobel Prizes. He was famous for inventing ________.
a) Airplane b) Firework c) Train d) Computer e) Dynamite
2. How many different Nobel Prize awards are there?
a) 1 b) 3 c) 6 d) 9 e) Varies
3. Which of these (s) is NOT a category of the Nobel Prize?
a) Mathematics b) Engineering c) Medicine d) Economics e) A and B
4. Who generally receives a Nobel Peace Prize?
a) A CEO who helps his company make a lot of money b) A scientist who finds a cure for a deadly disease c) A leader who achieves peace
5. The Nobel Prizes were first awarded in what year.
a) 1895 b) 1901 c) 1907 d) 1913 e) Not known
6. The Prize founder, Alfred Nobel, was from which European country.
a) Germany b) Norway c) Sweden d) Switzerland e) Denmark
7. Which of these individual Nobel Prize winners did NOT win the award more than once?
a) Marie Curie b) Linus Pauling c) John Bardeen d) Albert Einstein e) Frederick Sanger
8. In addition to a commemorative medal, Nobel Prize recipients also receive ________.
a) Money b) The key to the city (Olso) c) A new laboratory d) A lifetime supply of books e) None
9. What is the Ig Nobel Prize?
a) A prize given to runner-up candidates b) An unofficial prize given to inventors of the most unusual inventions c) There is no such award
10. Who was the only recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize to refuse it?
a) Barack Obama b) Mother Teresa c) Al Gore d) Le Duc Tho e) Yasser Arafat
11. A Nobel Prize laureate is required to do what as a condition of receiving the award.
a) Pay a registration fee b) Take a ethics vow c) Give an academic lecture d) Make a charitable pledge e) All of the above
12. True or False. The Nobel Prize cannot be given to an individual posthumorously.
1)e 2)c 3)e 4)c 5)b 6)c 7)d 8)a 9)b 10)d 11)c 12)True
Classifications: # of correct answers
10-12 Master, 7-9 Expert, 4-6 Intermediate, 0-3 Novice