This sailing quiz has 12 multiple-choice questions. Answers to the sailing quiz questions can be found at the end of the page. Enjoy and pass them on to your sea-loving friends.
1. The natural element most critical to sailing is ______.
a) Fire b) Wind c) Air d) All of these
2. What is the primary difference between a regular sailboat and a yacht?
a) Aesthetics b) Design c) Size d) No difference
3. In competitive sailing, a fleet race involves how many boats?
a) Two (1 vs. 1)
b) More than 2
c) Either A or B
4. The sport of sailing made its official Olympic debut in ______.
a) 1896 b) 1900 c) 1952 d) 1956
5. Which of these sailing classes is no longer part of the Olympics?
a) 49er b) 470 c) Finn d) Laser e) Windglider
6. Which of the following countries has NEVER won an Olympic gold medal in sailing?
a) China b) Canada c) Brazil d) Finland e) Israel
7. Who is the governing body of competitive sailing?
a) ISSF b) ISAF c) IOC d) There's no ultimate authority
8. The America's Cup is the premier event in sailing. It is a competition between ______.
a) Individuals b) Countries c) Continents d) Yacht clubs
9. Which of these knot types is considered quintessential to a sailor?
a) Cleat b) Sheet bend c) Reef knot d) Bowline
10. What is the name of the special harbor where sailboats and leisure yachts are idly stored?
a) Port b) Dockyard c) Wharf d) Marina
11. In previous times, sailing was considered the sport or leisure activity of ________.
a) The wealthy b) The poor c) Everyone
12. True or False. In California and other U.S. coastal states, it is not uncommon that people live aboard their sailboats or yachts (primary residences).
1)b 2)c 3)b 4)b 5)e 6)b 7)b 8)d 9)d 10)d 11)a 12)True
Classifications: # of correct answers
10-12 Master, 7-9 Expert, 4-6 Intermediate, 0-3 Novice